Release Date: February 23, 2015
BUFFALO, N.Y. – “3… 2… 1… ACTIVATE!”
The catchphrase, made famous on the TV show Robot Wars, won’t sound out of place on Friday as engineering students from the University at Buffalo battle to see who built the mightiest robot.
The fun is part of a series of events this week that coincide with National Engineers Week, which promotes STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) in fun and engaging ways.
News media are invited to drop by and see the goings-on. All events are at UB’s Student Union. Here are some highlights:
· 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. – Students will use a robotic arm controlled by a hand-motion sensor to draw pictures.
· Noon to 2 p.m. – Students will navigate quadcopters (small remote-controlled helicopters) through an obstacle course.
· 1 to 3 p.m. – Students will build bottle rockets in the union and launch them in a nearby field. Please note: the launches are weather dependent and will likely occur closer to 3 p.m.
· 1 to 3 p.m. – Students will play a life-sized version of the children’s game “Operation.”
· 9 a.m. to noon – Robot wars.
For a full schedule of events, see here: http://engineering.buffalo.edu/home/news-events/school-events-and-activities/Engineers-Week.html.
Where: UB’s Student Union, building No. 29 on this map: http://www.buffalo.edu/content/dam/www/shared_assets/campus_maps/NorthCampus_bus-routes-opt.pdf.
Do not call 911 or University Police for general information during an emergency, as this will delay response to the emergency. This site will provide new details as quickly as possible.