Skip to Content
- Remain calm, do not engage the intruder.
- If it is possible to escape the area safely, do so
- If attempting to escape, do not carry phones or other objects
in your hands. As you move through open areas keep your HANDS
ELEVATED with OPEN PALMS visible, especially if encountering
responding law enforcement officers. Follow all the instructions
officers may give you.
- If you CANNOT SAFELY EXIT the building, seek shelter in a room
where the doors can be locked or barricaded securely.
- Close and lock windows, lower blinds, remain out of sight, turn
- Once secured inside, take cover behind concrete walls, thick
desks, filing cabinets, away from windows and doors.
- Remain quiet, turn off cell phone ringers.
- ONLY ONE PERSON from the room should call University Police at
716-645-2222 and tell them where you are, where the intruder is and
the condition of the others with you. Follow their instructions. If
you cannot speak, leave the line open so the dispatcher can hear
what is happening.
- If it can be accomplished safely, assist injured persons.
- Do not respond to any unfamiliar voice commands until you can
be sure that they are coming from a police officer.
- Do not open the door until you can be positive that it is a
police officer or a recognized campus official coming to help