If you receive a bomb threat over the phone, please adhere to
the following guidelines:
- Keep the caller on the line and attempt to get as much
information as possible. Ask for the message to be repeated to
confirm it. If possible, record the message.
- If the caller does not indicate the location of the bomb or the
time of possible detonation, ask for this information.
- Inform the caller that the building is occupied and the
detonation of a bomb could result in death or serious injury
to many innocent people.
- Pay particular attention to background noises, which may give a
clue as to the location of the caller.
- Listen closely to the voice (male or female), voice tone (calm
or excited), accents and speech impediments. Immediately after
the caller hangs up, report the call. Law enforcement personnel
will want to talk firsthand with the person who received the
- Report the threat immediately to the appropriate agencies. If
it's on campus, call University Police at 716-645-2222.